Master of Education: School Counseling PreK-12
Classes begin Fall, Spring and Summer
School counselors experience great personal satisfaction assisting PreK-12 students in their academic, personal, and career development, as they become happy, healthy, productive members of society. Careers in our school systems are expanding and job prospects are on the rise. This is the perfect time to complete your education with a master’s degree in School Counseling.
CalU offers an accelerated program for students of any undergraduate major. This can be completed in only 4 semesters and one summer. We also offer a more flexible program to accommodate your busy lifestyle and career. In addition, education majors or teachers can follow a streamlined process and get credit or waivers for some previously completed classes. Internships can also accommodate your busy life and career schedules.
An additional benefit of the School Counseling program is that you will also be qualified to complete requirements to become a Licensed Professional Counselor in Pennsylvania and other states at the same time. This will enable you to open a private counseling practice and receive reimbursement from insurance carriers.
CalU offers benefits that few masters programs can match:
- We are a fully accredited PDE, CACREP, NCATE/CAEP, and Middle States program.
- You can earn complete PreK 12 certification as a School Counselor.
- At the same time, you can work toward becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) with the same degree in School Counseling.
- You can become a Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC) upon graduation.
- We offer excellent field experiences, scheduled to fit around your busy life and career.
- If your undergraduate GPA is 3.0 or above, you do not need MAT or GRE scores.
- You should be able to complete the degree in as little as 4 semesters and 1 summer.
- The total cost of our program is very economical, one of the lowest costs in the state.
- Many Graduate Assistantships are available to help cover the cost of tuition!
- You can begin this flexible program any semester with Fall, Spring, or Summer start dates.
Our students benefit from the many decades of experience offered by our empathic faculty, who pride themselves on developing skilled and caring professionals. So, if you are looking for a rewarding career and a stimulating profession helping others, school counseling may be for you.
To find more information about our programs, please use this link and type counselor education in the CalU search box at the top of the university page: http://www.calu.edu/
For those students who hold a master’s degree in related field, you may be eligible for our certification only program. The department will evaluate your transcript to determine which courses are required.
Prospective students are advised to read the CED Student Handbook. which describes the philosophy, admissions, and departmental procedures in detail.
Learn more about the master’s curriculum.
Please Note: All students who will be seeking licensure/certification outside of Pennsylvania should consult the State Authorization web page for more information.
Complete applications for this program need to be submitted by:
Early admission application deadlines are:
February 15th – summer and fall start terms
September 15th – spring start term
Regular admission application deadlines are:
July 1st – fall start term
November 1st – spring start term
May 1st – summer start term